There is currently no national standardization of education or credentialing requirements for signed language interpreters practicing in K-12 educational settings. In response, many states have established their own requirements for educational interpreting practitioners. These state-level requirements often include a state-determined minimum assessment score on the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA). While use of the EIPA as a testing instrument to credential educational interpreters has become widely used, the score requirements vary greatly from state to state.

Due to the scope and nature of requisite competencies evaluated through the EIPA, there is a need for specialist education to prepare interpreters to practice as K-12 educational interpreters. The gaps in competencies identified through this research were used as the foundation to develop recommendations for the inclusion of relevant domains within an educational interpreter specialist certificate curriculum.

Exit Requirement


Date of Award


Degree Name

Master of Arts in Interpreting Studies

Committee Chair

Elisa Maroney

Committee Member

Amanda Smith

Committee Member

Daniel McDougall


educational interpreter, educational interpreting, experiential learning, interpreter education, interpreter training, job readiness, specialist certificate



Type (DCMI Terms)


Subject Categories

Education | Higher Education | Language Interpretation and Translation | Other Education

Rights Statement

Western Oregon University Library has determined, as of 3/29/2023, this item is in copyright, which is held by the author. Users may use the item in accordance with copyright limitations and exceptions, including fair use. For other uses, please ask permission from the author at the email address listed above.

Rights Statement URL




Rights Statement

In Copyright

In Copyright. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).